Troy escapes being upset by beating Eastern Kentucky on final second field goal


TROY, Ala (WDHN) — The Trojans return to The Vet for the second of three straight home games. Today’s fixture was a non-conference game against FCS level Eastern Kentucky.

In the first quarter, Gunnar Watson was clicking, he threw over 100 yards and two touchdowns in the frame. The first of those went to Tight End AJ Morris and the second went to Khalil McClain.

EKU never went away, sticking with the Trojans til the very end. Troy took a 21-17 lead into the half.

One of the keys to this game, was the break but not bend mentality of the Troy defense. Eastern Kentucky had the ball inside the Trojan red zone five times and on three of those possessions, the Colonels were forced to kick a field goal after being inside the ten yard line.

This game picked up in the fourth quarter, Troy leads 20-28, Gunnar Watson has his screen pass picked off by the Colonels. EKU again was only able to muster up a field goal but they cut the Trojan lead to five.

Next Troy drive, they chew off three minutes of clock but in the end are forced to punt. Giving Eastern Kentucky one more chance to win with 2:49 to play in the game.

The game seemed over when EKU was called for a false start on fourth down, leading to a fourth and nine. Colonels quarterback, Parker McKinney throws the ball on a rope and hits Keyion Dixon for 37 yards down to the 30 yard line of Troy.

Then two plays later, McKinney completes a pass to Jackson Beerman for a gain of 26 yards. Eastern Kentucky has the ball inside the ten. Eastern Kentucky would score a touchdown on second and goal, but would fail the two point conversion. Colonels lead 29-28 with only 21 seconds remaining in the game.

In maybe one of the biggest plays of the game, Reggie Todd takes the ensuing kickoff all the way out to the Trojans’ 45 yard line, leaving fourteen seconds on the clock. The Trojans still have all three timeouts.

Troy has time for two plays, on the first, Watson completes a pass to Kaylon Geiger over the middle to the EKU 45. Next play, Watson now hits Khalil McClain who gets down to the 30 with two seconds on the clock.

That would set up Evan Legassey on the game winning field goal from 47 yards out and Legassey made the kick. Trojans win 31-29.

The Trojans are now 3-1 and they return to The Vet next week to take on Georgia State in a Sun Belt game.

“I was really proud of how our guys continued to believe and fight. We overcame adversity all night long. We kept clawing and scratching and found a way to win,” said head coach Chip Lindsey

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Fish and Game

Trending Stories