BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A Birmingham mother has been accused of burning her dead infant’s body and leaving the remains in an alley, court records reveal.
According to court documents, Jasilyn Shebreit Hughes, 27, abused the corpse of her child Jahzara Harris on April 1. She allegedly placed the body of her infant child in a diaper bag, which she then placed into a trash bag and set on fire. The remains were left in an alley, court documents state.
Hughes was arrested Sunday morning and booked into the Jefferson County Jail. She has been charged with abuse of a corpse and is being held on a $250,000 bond.
No other information has been released at this time.
- Local nonprofits feel ‘incredibly negative’ impact from pandemic
- WDHN Storm Team: Few showers tomorrow, sun returns Sunday!
- NY lawmakers modify Cuomo’s emergency COVID-19 powers amid sexual harassment allegations
- Affidavit: Man found Tiger Woods unconscious after SUV crash
- Mother of 3-month-old Desmond Castillo talks for the first time since baby’s death; full interview