BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — A Birmingham mother has been accused of burning her dead infant’s body and leaving the remains in an alley, court records reveal.
According to court documents, Jasilyn Shebreit Hughes, 27, abused the corpse of her child Jahzara Harris on April 1. She allegedly placed the body of her infant child in a diaper bag, which she then placed into a trash bag and set on fire. The remains were left in an alley, court documents state.
Hughes was arrested Sunday morning and booked into the Jefferson County Jail. She has been charged with abuse of a corpse and is being held on a $250,000 bond.
No other information has been released at this time.
- Coffee Co. EMA officials keeping a keen eye on Hurricane Zeta’s projected path in the Gulf of Mexico
- Coffee Co. Commissioner Josh Carnley returns after being stricken with the Coronavirus
- ‘A new start’: 17 Mississippi inmates baptized by department’s ministry
- WDHN Storm Team: Impacts from Hurricane Zeta on the Wiregrass’ forecast
- Texas 3-year-old dies after accidentally shooting himself during his birthday party