HONOLULU (KHON2) — The Center for Disease Control (CDC) is warning parents to be on the lookout for a rare polio-like condition that affects children.
The health agency says it is preparing for a possible outbreak of acute flaccid myelitis, a life threatening condition that affects the nervous system.
The CDC says cases tend to spike every two years.
The most common symptoms are sudden limb weakness, respiratory illness and fever.
AFM can lead to permanent disability.
Latest stories on KHON2
- Suspect in custody for shooting on minors
- Second capital murder suspect arrested in Dothan woman’s death
- Second stimulus checks: Where we stand after Trump’s push for new direct payments
- First Baptist Church members volunteer to beautify community garden
- Additional lanes off Highway 84 built into the new Ben E. Keith food processing facility under construction in New Brockton