(WIAT) – Are you traveling to Georgia anytime soon? A new law passed called the Hands Free Law prohibits drivers from having their cell phone in their hand while driving.
The law prohibits the following :
- Writing, sending or reading text messages while holding your device
- Drivers are not able to listen to music while using earphones
- Watching and recording videos as the driver are prohibited
- School bus drivers are not allowed to use wireless devices while loading and unloading a passengers
The video above was shared by the Georgia Governors’ Office of Highway Safety, as the incident shows last week in the city of Byron when a police cruiser was rear ended by a distracted driver.
You are allowed to do the following:
- Use hands free technology while speaking and texting
- Using a GPS system
- Wearing and using a smart watch
The new law also prohibits drivers holding a phone and you are not able to use any part of your body to support the phone.
Do you want to see similar legislation in Alabama? Let us know on Facebook: