Houston County woman loses everything in Wednesday morning fire

News

PANSEY, Ala. (WDHN) — An overnight house fire left a single mother without anything other than the clothes on her and her infant’s backs Wednesday morning.

At around 2 a.m., multiple units responded to a house fire on 210 Walter Road in Pansey.

The owner, Meagan Childress, was not at home when the fire broke out. She was staying at a friend’s house instead.

“It was really strange because I had a bad feeling all night,” she said. “I was coming home, and something told me not to come home, and when (my neighbor) called me at 2 o’clock, I knew it was my house.”

Childress is a single mother to a four-month-old daughter named Kalani.

“There’s nothing,” she said. “Thankfully we weren’t here not only because we’re okay, but I have her car seat, and I have two diaper bags … I have one can of formula, and if I was here, it would have been just me and her running out if we could have done that.”

A neighbor was the first person to notice the blaze.

“I came home from work, and I was getting ready to go to bed, and I stepped outside to smoke a cigarette,” Jamie Blair said. “And I could see the flames over the trees and I immediately called Meagan to ask if they were burning a brush fire or anything, and she said she wasn’t at home so I told her to hurry up and get home. And then, I called the fire department, and I met her over here, and it was a total loss. Everything was already gone.”

Charred debris is all that remains of the 30-year-old single-wide mobile home. When we visited the ruins, it was still smoking.

A toy fire truck is one of the few items that remain, also including a photo of Childress with her father and brother who have both already passed away.

“This was my daddy’s house,” she said. “I’ve had it for almost 5 years, but it was all I had left of him and my brother, and everything of theirs was in here along with anything that had to do with her or me.”

The Red Cross is assisting the Childress family, but if you would like to help, donations may be dropped off at her place of employment, Johnny B’s restaurant in Ashford.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories