Geneva home engulfed in flames New Year’s Eve

News

GENEVA, Ala. (WDHN) — On New Year’s Eve, Geneva volunteer firefighters spent the night containing a three-bedroom house fire on South Academy Street from spreading to nearby homes.

The 1940’s structure was not occupied and flames were first reported coming from the attic.

Fire Chief Ben Latimer said he’s working with the state fire marshal’s office in determining a cause. Foul play is not suspected.

“Made of heart pine and burned in a hurry and despite our efforts, it was a total loss. About all we could do is protect the exposures on both sides and behind it to limit the damage to the structure,” Latimer said.

At times, the flames shot more than 20-feet into the night sky. Latimer thanked his personnel for their quick response in containing the flames to the one structure.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories