DOTHAN, Ala. (WDHN) — Dothan firefighters have been battling mutiple fires around the Wiregrass—two happening in one day.
Monday evening, first responders were called to a fire located behind Dothan Prep around Stadium Drive.
“About 7:40 we got a call for flames visible from the rear of a house in the 1200 block of Stadium Drive,” Dothan Fire Deputy Dhief Chris Etheredge said. “Last night as units arrived they encountered again heavy fire showing from the back of the structure.”
Another fire at Rock Creek Apartments caused serious damage.
“Our first unit arrived within just a matter of minutes,” Etheredge said. “(We) found heavy smoke showing from the first floor apartment, had significant damage to that one apartment. Water damage to the apartments below that, kind of a split level apartment complex.”
Investigators later discovered the fire was due to an out of control cooking fire. According to reports something was left on the stove and caused a flare.
A resident at Rock Creek told WDHN parts of her apartment were destroyed due to the blaze.
“The inside of my whole bedroom is totally destroyed,” an anonymous resident said. “The ceiling has collapsed, I have a lot of water damage, and the smoke smells just terrible. So, I don’t know if I’ll be able to salvage what I can salvage.”