CLAY, Ala. (WIAT) — A 15-year-old girl is in serious condition after being shot by her stepfather who thought she was an intruder breaking into their home Sunday morning.
The incident occurred around 2:15 a.m. in the 5900 block of Debbie Drive in Clay, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office.
Officials say the child was dropped off at the residence early Sunday morning. The parents heard the garage door open and her step-father grabbed a firearm and went to investigate.
After the step-father encountered the 15-year-old, he accidentally shot her in the abdomen.
The victim was transported to Children’s Hospital for treatment. JCSO is currently investigating the incident.
- Enterprise Primitive Baptist Church Homecoming
- Christian Mission Center in Enterprise holds its annual Thanksgiving Dinner, but it is a drive-thru
- What are you thankful for? WDHN newsroom and production give thanks
- Dothan Best Buy prepares for Black Friday, pandemic style
- Slocomb’s annual Thanksgiving Day turkey shoot raises money for the Red Tops sports programs