TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) — The Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that 21 inmates being held at the Tuscaloosa County Jail have tested positive for the coronavirus.
20 of the 21 inmates are asymptomatic and are being held away from the general population. The other inmate has shown symptoms and is being held in a cell by themselves.
Employees are being equipped with PPE and sanitation is being performed. An employee at the jail has also tested positive, but TCSO says they contracted the virus outside of the jail. They are currently self-quarantining.
- Happening Now: Black Lives Matter protest in front of the Houston County Courthouse
- BREAKING: Helicopter crash in Ozark; one death has been confirmed
- ‘We take this situation very seriously’ Dothan City Schools investigating employee’s social media comments
- WATCH SOON: Top doctors, mental health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 31
- A look at Mexico Beach a year-and-a-half after Hurricane Michael destroyed it