MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Alabama State Senator David Burkett has officially resigned, according to Gov. Kay Ivey’s Office.
Burkett turned in a resignation letter Tuesday saying it was “effective immediately.”
Gov. Ivey’s Office released a statement on the senator’s decision:
“Governor Ivey is disappointed, but firmly supports the rule of law, and particularly in this situation when there has been a clear misuse of public trust.”Press Secretary Gina Maiola
Burkett has represented District 26 of the Alabama Senate since 2018. Why he decided to resign has not been announced.
No other information has been released at this time.
- Alabama Dist. 87 Representative Jeff Sorrells says plans to build three new state mega-prisons makes sense
- Enterprise officials hope a Federal study will indicate Highway 167 needs to be four-laned from the Florida Line to Troy
- Showing up and showing out for Hispanic Heritage Month with Latina cultural storyteller and filmmaker
- Local medical center urges residents to vote in favor of special county tax
- Fly in the Sky: Friends of Army Aviation prepares for 3rd annual Dothan Remembers event