MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WIAT) — Montgomery County District Attorney Daryl Bailey has issued an arrest warrant for State Rep. Will Dismukes.
The warrant is for first-degree theft of property. Dismukes allegedly stole more than $2,500 from a former employer, Weiss Flooring.
Dismukes has been booked into the Montgomery County Jail. He is being held on a $5,000 bond.
Gov. Kay Ivey released a statement to CBS 42 regarding to alleged incident.
“If true, it is disappointing when a public official, elected with the confidence of the people, abuse that trust. I support the letter of the law, and no one is above it – especially those in public office.”Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey
Dismukes’ lawyer says the state representative is maintaining his innocence, according to the Associated Press. Attorney Trey Norman says Dismukes doesn’t plan to give up his House seat.
No other information has been released at this time. Stay with CBS 42 as this is an ongoing story.
- Hampton Roads native looking toward Tokyo Olympics; focusing on mental game during pandemic
- Coronavirus relief: When will lawmakers reach deal on more help for Americans?
- GSA recognizes president-elect Biden, clearing way for formal transition
- Photos released of car recovered from Chattahoochee River
- Don’t let the Grinch steal your gifts this year: tips to stay safe during the holiday season