The News Anchor serves as the primary presenter of news stories and other content for all platforms in a manner that is clear, engaging and meaningful to news consumers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Presents news stories and other content for all platforms.
• Ensures that all news content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers news stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Produces newscasts and communicates clear direction with team members. Must be able to produce two newscasts per day.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating news programming and other content.
• Acts as a field reporter as assigned.
• Conducts interviews with news personnel and others.
• Responds to breaking news and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Edits video clips as assigned.
• Writes content for the website and other E-Media platforms.
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites.
Other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Prefer two years experience in anchoring and/or reporting.
• Superior on-air presence.
• Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The News Anchor must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition the News Anchor must be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
Local Sales Manager – Dothan, Alabama
WDHN in the Dothan, AL market is seeking a Local Sales Manager. We are looking for an organized and detail-oriented individual. Candidates will possess outstanding creativity, leadership skills, high energy and the ability to hire, train and motivate the sales team. Multi-platform sales experience and a solid understanding of OSI and Strata a plus.
The ideal candidate will also be an excellent negotiator with the ability to manage multiple sales projects and lead by example. If you are ready to take the next step in broadcast television sales, please apply at Nexstar.tv No phone calls, please.
WDHN, a Nexstar Broadcasting Company, is an equal opportunity employer and offers a great work environment. EOE
WDHN, the ABC affiliate in Dothan, Al is seeking a multi-media journalist to help us expand our field reporter staff. This is a great opportunity to put your career in high gear as many of our previous reporters that got a start here are now in major markets.
The person selected will have a degree in broadcast journalism or related field. Strong writing skills and a clear understanding of news issues are mandatory. Applicants may be required to take a test in an effort to determine knowledge of news-related issues. Some understanding of weather would be helpful but only for the possibility of fill-in duty.
Additional requirements include a good driving record and clean background. Both will be checked prior to employment. A pre-employment drug screen is required.
The selected candidate must also be able to work well with limited supervision, be goal-oriented and have the ability to lift up to 40 pounds. The selected candidate will demonstrate strong talent skills. The ability to work well with others is absolutely necessary.
Resumes should be submitted to Ken Curtis, News Director, WDHN-TV, P.O. Box 6237, Dothan, Al 36302. An internet link to your reel is preferred at firstname.lastname@example.org but hard copies will be accepted.
This is a wonderful opportunity to begin your career in a warm climate only a few minutes from Florida beaches and work with a company that owns stations across the nation and encourages internal promotion.
WDHN is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring practices. We actively seek applicants regardless of gender, race, or national origin.
Media Sales Representative - Dothan, Alabama
WDHN in the Dothan, AL market is seeking a Media Sales Representative. We are looking for an organized and detail-oriented individual with outstanding creativity. Duties of the position include selling television and internet advertising to new and existing clients. Advertising sales experience a plus but not required.
The ideal candidate must be a self starter and have the ability to work well with little supervision. If you are ready to take a step into broadcast television sales, please mail a cover letter and resume to WDHN-TV Attn: Terri Bodiford P.O. Box 6237 Dothan, AL 36302 or email to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
WDHN, a Nexstar Broadcasting Inc, is an equal opportunity employer and offers a great work environment. EOE.