WDHN, the ABC affiliate in southeast Alabama has an opening for a chief meteorologist. Our current one is moving up the career ladder.
This is a one person department in a small Nexstar station with the ability to advance within the company. Our former meteorologists are now working at large stations across the country.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Field report during special events or severe weather as needed.
• Assists in producing special weather programming and other duties as assigned.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Superior on-air presence.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Fluency in English.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Chief Meteorologist must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work in close proximity to others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Meteorologist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.
You must apply at Nexstar.tv/jobs and send a link of your most recent work to firstname.lastname@example.org
WDHN, the ABC affiliate in Dothan, Al is seeking a multi-media journalist to help us expand our field reporter staff. This is a great opportunity to put your career in high gear as many of our previous reporters that got a start here are now in major markets.
The person selected will have a degree in broadcast journalism or related field. Strong writing skills and a clear understanding of news issues are mandatory. Applicants may be required to take a test in an effort to determine knowledge of news-related issues. Some understanding of weather would be helpful but only for the possibility of fill-in duty.
Additional requirements include a good driving record and clean background. Both will be checked prior to employment. A pre-employment drug screen is required.
The selected candidate must also be able to work well with limited supervision, be goal-oriented and have the ability to lift up to 40 pounds. The selected candidate will demonstrate strong talent skills. The ability to work well with others is absolutely necessary.
Resumes should be submitted to Ken Curtis, News Director, WDHN-TV, P.O. Box 6237, Dothan, Al 36301. An internet link to your reel is preferred at email@example.com hard copies will be accepted.
This is a wonderful opportunity to begin your career in a warm climate only a few minutes from Florida beaches and work with a company that owns stations across the nation and encourages internal promotion.
WDHN is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its hiring practices. We actively seek applicants regardless of gender, race, or national origin.
Media Sales Representative – Dothan, Alabama
WDHN in the Dothan, AL market is seeking a Media Sales Representative. We are looking for an organized and detail-oriented individual with outstanding creativity. Duties of the position include selling television and internet advertising to new and existing clients. Advertising sales experience a plus but not required.
The ideal candidate must be a self starter and have the ability to work well with little supervision. If you are ready to take the next step in broadcast television sales, please apply at Nexstar.tv No phone calls, please.
WDHN, a Nexstar Broadcasting Inc, is an equal opportunity employer and offers a great work environment. EOE