Wiregrass rallies behind 2nd grader with brain tumor

A tumor was found on the brain of a second grader, four days later she underwent surgery and people from near and far rallied in blue to show support. 

Addison James has suffered from severe headaches and nausea over the past few months. 

Her parents were able to get an appointment with a neurologist, but the next available opening was not until mid-May, which was not soon enough.

On April 19, Addison became sick at Pinedale Elementary School and was taken to the Medical Center in Enterprise where her mother who is a nurse at the hospital insisted that an MRI be done immediately. 

The MRI showed the family's greatest fear, a tumor on Addison's brain. 

"After being diagnosed, she was rushed by ambulance to Children's of Alabama," Juli Parrish, Addison's Grandmother said. "They immediately started doing evaluations and originally planned on doing the surgery the next day, on Friday, but decided to wait until Monday."

The doctors decided to give Addison a steroid to help the swelling and the pain. Four days later, she underwent brain surgery to remove the tumor. 

"She has had lots of support, lots of company from family and friends and people who love her," Parrish said. "There were so many people who wanted to do something, but didn't know what to do."

Addison's aunt posted a photo of her niece on Facebook asking people to wear light blue on Monday to support her, the photo went viral. 

On Monday, people from not only the Wiregrass, but from many Southern states posted photos wearing light blue, Addison's favorite color.

"People that know me, people that know her mom from the hospital or her dad who is a state trooper or people who do not know any of us or her were wearing blue to support Addison and it's just like how did you even hear about this," Parrish said. "I cannot tell you how many people from her school and school district and other schools along with churches from around here have come together to support our family."

Addison's surgery is believed to have been a success, though the doctors will not know for sure until they complete a followup exam on Tuesday. 

"They told us the surgery could take six hours or even longer and it took less than five hours so I am taking that as a good sign," Parrish said. 

It will take six days to get the results back from pathology to know whether the tumor was cancerous or not, Addison's family asks that the everyone continues to keep her in their thoughts and prayers.

Also saying that the outpour of love and support for their family has been a blessing and very humbling. 

"Thank you," Parrish said. "It is wonderful to feel the support of a community, of a state. It has made a difference, your prayers and concern has made a difference.  It has made this incredibly hard thing a little easier for Addison and her family." 





Trending Stories

Latest News