TROY, Alabama- Troy (13-14, 1-2 SBC) picked up a 2-0 win over the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in a pitcher’s dual as sophomore Stephanie Snyder hit her first home run of the season in the bottom of the seventh to give the Trojans their second walk-off win of the season.
The game was scoreless through the first six and a half innings as pitchers from both teams were able to keep runners at bay.
Troy pitcher Claire Graves threw a complete game in the circle for the Trojans and with the win moves to 6-2 on the season. Graves faced 27 batters, threw three strikeouts and only walked one batter.
At the plate, the Trojans picked up eight hits, but strong defensive plays from the Golden Eagles kept the runners from scoring. Sophomore Katie Webb went 3-3 at the plate and five other Trojans put hits on the board.
Southern Miss put up six hits, three from first baseman Tori Dew, but the quick Trojan defense did not allow a Golden Eagle runner to score. Southern Miss sent a runner home in the fourth inning after a pop up to second base. The play that was originally ruled a run, but a quick meeting from the umpires overturned the call as the runner did not tag the base before advancing home.
A Becca Hartley base hit in the bottom of the seventh put one runner on with one out for Snyder at the plate. She timed a change-up that the Trojans were battling all night perfectly and crushed her first homer of the season to score Troy's two runs and earn the walk-off win.
“Becca Hartley came up before me and said ‘You get to do this,’ said Snyder. “We were just moving pitch to pitch and I was ready for it, timed it up well and hit it. I feel really good about it right now.”
“It was a really good game,” head coach Beth Mullins said. “If you are a fan on either side, you enjoyed it. It was a pitcher’s dual with some really good defense. Both sides had some really good at-bats, but no one could really push one around. I was proud of Claire Graves. I thought she did a great job . She lived one pitch to the next and had a great defense behind her.”
• This is the second time this season the Trojans have walked off. The first was in Troy's 7-5 win over then No. 19 Pittsburgh on Feb. 25.
• Snyder now has two career home runs; this was the first walk-off of her career.
• Snyder leads the team with a .330 at the plate as she went 1-4 on the night, but she leads the team with 29 hits on the year.
• Madeline Porter picked up her eighth hit by pitch of the season. She extended her hit streak to five games, which is a current team-high.
• Jordan Gray made the start in left field, while Snyder moved to center.
• Troy is now 12-3 all time against the Golden Eagles.
• Graves now has a 2.40 ERA, the lowest of the Troy pitching staff.
Troy will host its first conference series of the season as the Panthers of Georgia State visit Troy . double header will be played at , and finale is set to begin at .
For more information on Troy softball, visit TroyTrojans.com and follow @TroyAthletics and @TroyTrojansSB on Twitter.