Five safe in Dothan after trapped in elevator

Published 04/09 2014 02:48PM

Updated 04/09 2014 08:16PM

Five people were trapped in an elevator at a school in Dothan when electrical service was lost Wednesday morning.  A teacher, Tomesha McIntyre, and four students were marooned in the building on the campus of Greater Beulah Baptist Church.

"Initially when it went out I started to panic at first. But then I said no, I have to be strong because I knew (one of my students) has asthma and I had to be strong for him and my other three kids as well," said McIntyre.  She and the pupils were freed when power was restored.  The outage, lasting about 45 minutes, was caused by birds that caused a short at an electrical substation.

Members of the Dothan Fire Department were working to manually bring the elevator to the ground floor when power was restored. 

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

comments powered by Disqus

Featured Business